Deadline: November 25th, 2021
The Desmond Elliott prize promotes a longlist of 10 books, of which a shortlist of three are selected by a panel of panel of expert judges. The final prize winner is announced summer 2022, receiving not only the £10k prize, but ongoing support from National Centre for Writing to shape their early career.
We encourage publishers from across the UK and Ireland to submit literary fiction debuts by Africans for consideration. The 2022 prize seeks vividly written and confidently realised first novels whose compelling narratives and arresting characters speak to readers, and to our times.
Who Can Apply?
Successful entries must feature the following qualities:
- A debut full-length novel written in English
- Open to full-length literary fiction novels written for adults
- By an African author whose permanent place of residence is in the UK or Ireland
- Published in print form in the UK / Ireland between 1 April 2021 and 31 March 2022
- Shortlisted authors must be available to attend the prize ceremony in July 2022
- Authors must be living at the time of submission
- For full details download the Publishers’ Information Sheet
- Submissions open: Thursday 7 October 2021
- Deadline for submissions: Thursday 25 November 2021
- Longlisted books announced: April 2022
- Shortlisted books announced: June 2022
- Award Ceremony: July 2022
If you have questions before submitting, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit Desmond Elliot Prize for more information.