Deadline: October 10th, 2021
One Million Naira (₦1m) is up for the taking as the Lagos International Poetry Festival launches its annual slam competition at #LIPFest2021. Poets between the ages of 18 and 35 stand a chance to claim the slam prize and perform at the festival’s command performance event on the 23rd of October at Terra Kulture.
Since 2015, the Lagos International Poetry Festival has brought some of the biggest performers, writers, poets and artists from across the world to Lagos for a week of performances, workshops, and conversations, establishing itself as one of the continent’s key cultural highlights.
The festival is invested in creating an inclusive space in the city of Lagos, bringing poets and writers, artists and audiences together in an environment that engenders ideas and supports creative freedom. LIPFest, since inception, has attracted over a hundred guest poets, writers and artists from over twenty cities across world, from global heavyweights and pioneering spirits, to younger voices defining new aesthetics and chronicling the beauty and terror of their times.
As West Africa’s first international poetry festival, LIPFest has, over the years, facilitated connections between artists from across the wide, creative, African diaspora and continues to do so.
The Lagos International Poetry Festival returns into a world steadying itself from the effects of a drawn-out global crisis. With the theme, Ancestral Imaginings, this year’s festival “leans into the wisdom and vision, of the old and the young, to guide us through the rubble of a pandemic”. A generational journey aided by generational memory.
LIPFest 2021’s inaugural slam competition emphasises the role of young people in dreaming and building a future that answers the anxieties of today.
The festival takes place from October 21 st – October 24th 2021, as a hybrid experience of expertly curated events, combining digital offerings with the much-missed in-person programme.
Who Can Enter?
- Submitting poets must be between 18 and 35 years of age.
- Poems must be original to the poet and previously unpublished.
- Poems can be in English or any other Nigerian/African language.
- Poems may not contain excessive violence, explicit language and/or degrading language in reference to any group of people and persons.
- Only one submission allowed. Poets who make more than one entry will be automatically disqualified.
How to Enter
- Submit a one-minute video of a poem on the theme Ancestral Imaginings to email@example.com. Videos must be less than 100 MB.
- Videos must be clear and recorded without props or background music.
- Stand a chance to qualify as one of two wild card entries by uploading your poem on any social media of your choice – Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or TikTok – with the hashtags #LIPFest2021Slam and #AncestralImaginings, tagging @lagospoetryfestival.
(Two entries with the highest number of likes/engagement will qualify as wild cards.)
- Poems will be judged by a carefully selected team of judges.
- Entries should contain the poet’s full name, age and social media handles in the body of the submission.
- Ten shortlisted poets will be announced on the 19th of October 2021.
- Shortlisted poets will compete live for One million Naira (₦1m) on the 22nd of October 2021 at #LIPFest2021.
Visit #LIPFest2021Slam for more information.