Deadline: October 17th, 2021
Do you have a project that will help spread solutions journalism in your community (and beyond)? Apply for the LEDE Fellowship 2022, and join a community of entrepreneurs shaping the news of tomorrow.
For the third year running, the Solutions Journalism Network is seeking proposals from journalists who are leading or want to lead a project that will produce solutions journalism stories and take others with them to spread the approach. The LEDE Fellowship is a yearlong opportunity for journalists to conceptualise and execute such projects alongside other entrepreneurs committed to extending the reach of solutions journalism and becoming the face of its future.
Nature of Fellowship
Over the course of the fellowship year, January-December 2022, fellows will engage in:
- Monthly calls with sub-cohorts of four or five other LEDE Fellows with similarly focused or themed projects;
- Bimonthly calls with the entire cohort of 20 to 25 LEDE Fellows, as well as select guest speakers who will support the fellows’ professional development;
- Calls twice a year with SJN’s LEDE Fellowship manager, Julia Hotz, to assess progress on project goals;
- Knowledge-sharing sessions with SJN’s greater network of journalism professionals.
Why You Should Apply
- Deep connections with a tight-knit community of solutions journalism entrepreneurs from around the world, who will serve as lasting sources of accountability, problem-solving and encouragement during and beyond the yearlong fellowship;
- Access to exclusive professional development sessions on storytelling, engagement, fundraising, equity and more;
- An honorarium of up to $3,500, proportional to the scope of the fellow’s project;
- Ongoing support and promotion from the staff of SJN and its network of more than 5,000 journalists and newsrooms around the world.
Who Can Apply?
- Ability to execute a project that accelerates the spread of solutions journalism in a community;
- Commitment to the spirit of “all-teach, all-learn,” capacity to seek out expertise (and offer your own) among peers and constituents;
- Entrepreneurship, with an inclination to collaborate and “take others with you”;
- Diversity of identity, geography, experience and role;
- Deep understanding of Journalism and its current challenges;
- Passion, enthusiasm and curiosity.
Fellows commit to:
- Achieve their projects specific goals to seed solutions stories, document teachable insights for the greater SJN community, train and engage with fellow solutions-focused journalists, and create community around solutions journalism;
- Contribute insights, share project updates and embrace an “all-teach, all-learn” spirit, seeking out peer expertise — and sharing yours — within the LEDE cohort and with other solutions journalism practitioners in SIN’s network;
- Serve as an ambassador for solutions journalism, locally and globally;
- Abide by SJN’s ethical standards.
Visit Solutions Journalism Network for more information.