Deadline: September 3rd, 2021
Ahead of UNCTAD’s 15th quadrennial conference, UNCTAD15, which will take place online hosted by Barbados, from 3 to 7 October, UNCTAD and partners are issuing an open call for submissions of photography that showcases trade’s positive impact. The conference theme, “From inequality and vulnerability to prosperity for all”, calls on us to fix fractures across the world to ensure prosperity for all.
Their esteemed selection committee is looking for compelling, dynamic and impactful images that tell the story of the power of trade to change lives and drive development towards to SDGs. Submissions can be single images or a narrative of up to three images.
Why You Should Apply
The top 10 to 20 images selected will be virtually exhibited at the conference, and if possible, physically in both Geneva and Barbados.
Who Can Apply?
The call is open to all photographers everywhere who document development issues globally who fulfil and/or agree to the following conditions:
- The participant must be at least 18 years of age or older to enter.
- Submissions must be the participant’s original work.
- All entries must be submitted between 16 August, midday (12:01pm) EST, and 3 September, 2021 midday (12:01pm) EST.
- All photography must relate to trade and development issues and matters.
- If submitting images of vulnerable groups (women, children, people with disabilities, the marginalized and the displaced), submission must include a release form or permissions record.
- Any entries deemed offensive will be immediately disqualified.
- The photo must be an original creation – no copyrighted images may be used.
- The participant must certify and warrant that the submissions do not violate the rights of a third party or any copyright.
- The photographer must be the author of the images submitted in their name.
- The photographer, or the agent or representative entering on their behalf, must be the copyright holder(s) or have been authorized by the copyright holder(s) to submit the images.
- Copyright holders retain copyright of their work. For awarded images, copyright holders grant UNCTAD unlimited non-exclusive use of high-resolution photos for activities in all media, including social media, online and print, in relation to the online and physical exhibition, the conference, all marketing materials, the UN photo archive, and all promotional and educational activities for and under the auspices of UNCTAD, without any remuneration being due.
- The copyright holders represent and warrant that submission of the photos does not breach any law, and further that no third party can hold any claims or any objections regarding the rights granted to UNCTAD. The copyright holders will hold UNCTAD harmless of any claims from third parties related hereto.
- All photos must have accurate captions, written in English only, and contain all the information described in the guidance on captions.
- Entries must be submitted via the official submission platform on the UNCTAD15 website. Entries sent in other ways will not be accepted.
To help guide submissions, UNCTAD has identified the following categories as key areas of interest for the submission of images:
- The human side of trade
- The plight and potential of small island developing states and least developed countries
- Making trade work for all
- The blue economy and livelihoods
- Making trade part of the climate solution
- Women in trade and development
- The power and influence of the creative economy
- Rebuilding a more equal world
- The digital economy and development
- Sustainable growth and the circular economy
Visit UNCTAD15 Photo Exhibition for more information.